Skip to content

Finalised plans for my I program.

I’ve now got two plans for my I program, which I think I should try and do both.

Firstly, improve my main page and order page, fine tune it and make sure everything the customer needs to know they have. Then optimize the pages for new keywords, aim for good PR and get lots of good links. Have a free / lite version which will provide more downloads. The lite version will be single user. Hopefully this will lead to more download, a better sales strategy, better pages and sales.

The other plan is to create a new website, with a domain name of something like form filler dot com. Create lots of new additional templates and create a web page and a download for each. With a pad file program title of something like  “Contact System – Form Filler”. Again have the same sales strategy, lite / free etc.

So the program should be identical, apart from the name and the template selection.

I know the second plan involves more work and a new domain, but the url will be nicer.

I didn’t really post this here to get comments, but as a place where I’d be able to easily find it.

However, if you have any comments I’d be happy to hear them.

by JM

Similar Posts:

{ 8 } Comments

1. Dipsy | January 22, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I’m just going to summarise blues comments, he said that I should get the persons email address prior to download and engage them with timed emails.

I guess this would be easier not being a trial version as they aren’t going to uninstall if the trial expires.

I know I’m less likely to uninstall something I know is free, where as a shareware version, I kind of feel that I own something and uninstalling makes me feel better. Maybe thats just me.

2. MikeL | January 27, 2010 at 12:33 am | Permalink

I think it’s great you’ve got a plan. Push ahead with it.

In my experience, sales are directly related to the
    number of downloads I can get, so I’d be wary of putting
    barriers in people’s way like asking for registration
    before they download.

I think a nice, clean new site might help you. On
    reflection, it’s really one of the only differences I can see
    between your offering and the similar program we
    sometimes discuss.

3. Blueskimonkey | January 27, 2010 at 6:46 am | Permalink

I would have to disagree with that one, years ago I sold a piece of software on the
    internet called ufly4less and we asked all downloaders to enter their email address to
    get the trial with an opt out option.

This worked very well for us as we then logged the start and end of the trial and then
    sent the users useful information to remind them of the product during the trial period
    and also reminded them that they had X days to take advantage of an offer we have
    a very high conversion rate with this which led to sales of the app for £15 a license.

I guess what you need to do is look at how many people download your app and how
    many actually buy it, and then just think of all those missed opportunities and how it
    would be nice to be able to contact those users to entice them to buy, I for one have
    downloaded software trials in the past and quite often forgot about them after using
    the app once or perhaps getting stuck.

A lot of software sites work this way now for users who go direct to their site to
    download the software the guys at Camtasia do a great job at email followup during
    the trial.

4. MikeL | January 27, 2010 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Sounds like you’ve got experience of this sales model.
    What was your conversion rate?

5. Dipsy | January 27, 2010 at 8:04 am | Permalink

I’m always keen to try something I haven’t tried before to help sales. I did start work on a system which would send out emails, however I shelved it due to the amount of other features I’d already
    added to my program.

It’s a shame there isn’t any software / system out their already.

I think the reason this might work, is that it weeds out people who definitely wouldn’t buy at an early stage. But it could also weed out people who haven’t decided and aren’t ready to commit. I guess
    for sites with lots of downloads this loss may not be noticeable.

But I can also see that it would attract people who had dismissed your software with mention of a feature which they’d missed or not understood.

For me the problem atm is getting this functionality up and running, I’d also have to write the emails too.

6. Blueskimonkey | January 27, 2010 at 8:12 am | Permalink

I no longer have the data, however the guy I worked with runs another software company
    now and they use the same technique I have just asked him and he says he gets quite a lot
    convert and purchase.

They have paid professional emails written and he says they make a big difference as they
    are a constant reminder about the product and its benefits.

He also shared this link with me and said there are good statistics about this on the link
    below.

Aaron

7. Blueskimonkey | January 27, 2010 at 8:17 am | Permalink

You can get automated software to email templates to users at given periods, although
    you might be scared at the reduced rate of downloads but today how many users actual
    convert to a sale from a download? I suspect its a very low percent maybe 200
    downloads and just 1 or 2 sales?

There’s also no harm in you just creating a simple download form which logs the email
    address to a database with their opt out details (again you write this clever like most
    sites to always have them opt in but its a legal requirement to show it).

So create a simple form log to database, email address, name, optout status, timestamp
    run that for a period of week and measure the amount of downloads compared to the
    previous week and work out what the percentage drop is.

Aaron

8. MikeL | January 27, 2010 at 9:17 am | Permalink

It sounds like a good thing to try. As I sell through more
    than one site I could give this a go on one site to see
    what effect it has.

My conversion rate at the moment is about 1 in 10.
    Tracking these types of figures is pretty important I think
    to detect trends. It’s also worth tracking the ratio of
    visitors/ downloads. This can give you a profit/ visitor
    figure. I use this to test if PPC is worthwhile, e.g. is it
    worth paying £1 a click for a visitor on Google Adwords?

My initial wariness was due to my own feelings about
    registering before downloading for anything – it’s
    something I very rarely do as I find the hassle quite
    offputting. Getting a higher conversion from people who
    do register might be for any number of reasons, e.g.
    were they already very serious about making a purchase
    in the first place and that’s why they registered before
    downloading? Whereas a good percentage of people who
    downloaded when they didn’t need to register were
    simply window-shopping.

On the email front we’ve been experimenting with bulk
    emailing for notifying existing customers about releases
    and upgrade opportunities. We’ve had some success and
    quite a few sales but from customer feedback we suspect
    that a fair percentage of emails end up in junk folders.
    Writing the email in a way that avoids them getting
    flagged as spam takes a bit of practice.